Eden Cycling Association will once again host the annual South African Interprovincial Team Championships in Oudtshoorn, from 30 June to 2 July 2014. Although running simultaneously with the Oudtshoorn Youth Festival, the Interprovincial Team Championships is a completely separate event and is not part of the Youth Festival.
Each province is afforded the opportunity to select their best six Junior and under-16 riders to compete against the other provinces for the Provincial Team championship crown.
The event format for 2014 will be as follows:
- Each province should select their 6 BEST Junior and 6 BEST U/16 riders to represent the province. (This is not a development event and does not require a specific mix to be present in the team).
- The competitions will consist of:
- Road Race: 120km for Junior and 90km for u16
- Team Time Trial: 40km for Junior and 30km for u16
- Long Track Criterium: 45 minutes plus 1 round for u16, 60 minutes plus 1 round for Juniors
- Short Track Criterium: 20 minutes plus 1 round for u16, 30 minutes plus 1 round for Juniors. (For this competition the best four results for each team will count towards the results. The positions held by the team members will be counted and the team with the least number of points will be the winner. In the TTT event, the 4th rider over the line will determine the team’s position.)
- In the Short Track Criterium the top 4 riders on GC per team, will ride in the event if the field is too large.
- Although this is primarily a team competition, the individual winners in each event will also be rewarded.
- If a province cannot field a team of 6 riders from its own province, it will be allowed to borrow riders from another province who cannot field a team either. These riders will have to participate in the colours of the organising province.
- Provinces will be allowed to enter more than one team only if they have a complete team entered in the Youth Event, in the relevant age group.