In the competitive world of track cycling, the importance of better-prepared and more skilled riders is ever increasing. As such, we continue to provide growth opportunities for our U/16 and Junior riders.
Aim of the Junior Track Cycling Programme
The aim of the Junior Track Cycling Programme for 2014 remains to:
- Improve the skills and performance of our U14 to Junior riders
- Prepare our high performance Junior riders towards competing in the Junior Track World Championships in Seoul, Korea (April-August 2014
The following interventions have been concluded to date:
- Area specific Skills and Knowledge courses during March 2014
- These were held in Johannesburg and Cape Town and attended by 33 riders
- Targeted: U/14 to Junior riders
- Objectives achieved: improved knowledge of track cycling, its techniques and tactics; improved cycling performance
- Your participation in the Provincial and National Championships
- South East Asia Grand Prix Series
- An opportunity arose to give international exposure to our top Junior riders
- 3 Grands Prix were held during May 2014 in Malaysia
- A squad of 7 Junior riders were selected based on their National Championships results
- They did us proud with 12 podium positions!
So what is next?
As per our Framework plan, the following is being finalised:
- 3-day High Performance Camp
- Date: 14-16 June
- Venue: Pilditch
- A further opportunity to grow as a rider in track cycling skills, knowledge and application thereof on and off the track towards improved performance
- A total of 20 riders would be accommodated
- Targeted: high performing U/16 and Junior riders
- Finalising selection of a Junior squad
- Junior Track World Championships (August 2014)
- T-Town racing (July 2014)
- Targeted: Junior riders
- Selection: in progress
Further skills clinics are in the pipeline for the fourth quarter of 2014.