This article was updated on Tuesday 28 March 2017.
Youth riders participating in the under-11 to under-17 categories must adhere to the rules that are associated with equipment standardisation at the forthcoming South African Track Championships in Bellville (3-8 April).
1. Gearing – roll out distances
a. For all Youth categories, male and female, the following maximum roll out distances shall apply for Track Events:
o Schools U17 6.897 meters (86.4’)
o Schools U15 6.626 meters (83”)
o Schools U13 6.227 meters (78”)
o Schools U11 6.227 meters (78’)
b. If, for whatever reason, a youth rider has been granted approval to compete in a higher age division event, the maximum roll out distance applicable to the rider’s age division must be maintained.
2. For Youth categories the following equipment restrictions will also apply for track competitions
- Riders U15 and below only standard handle bars will be allowed (drop bars)
- Riders U17 will be allowed to use UCI Approved Time Trial bars or bolt on bars without modification for the Time Trial, Individual and Team Pursuit
- Only Standard Helmets without visors to be used by ALL youth riders
- No aero helmets allowed
- Booties/ overshoes may be used by ALL youth riders when racing at an outdoor velodrome
- Only Standard wheels with 16 spokes or more to be used. No disc or carbon fibre wheels. No deep sections larger than 50mm / no carbon fibre deep sections. Tubbies or Clinchers allowed.
President, Cycling South Africa
*The full document is available for download or print by clicking here: https://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20170328_Youth-equipment-restrictions-27-March-2017.pdf