Cycling South Africa’s Track Commission has established a qualification process in order to increase the level of competitiveness of the timed events in South Africa.
In addition, this process will ensure that competitors are riding in the correct time parameters, as well as create a platform for Provincial level, Regional and Club level to host timed events and championships to ensure the level of racing is increased.
Method of how the rule will be implemented:
- The Top eight riders from the previous year automatically qualify;
- A Maximum of eight heats will be accepted into the Individual pursuit i.e. 16 riders with a minimum of 6 riders.
- For 2017 Elite/Junior riders that would like to do the Individual pursuit, an “Individual Events Application” needs to be filled in and submitted with their entries. Entries will not be considered without the Application form;
- The top eight from 2016 do not need to fill in an application form;
- Only riders that are within the time standards will be allowed to enter the Individual Pursuit and the times are on the application form are not accepted if older than 3 months;
- Application forms can be sent to Johan Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.
Times will be readjusted annually with the aim of improving the standard of times recorded at national level.
Elite Men Qualified:
- Morne van Niekerk
- Steven van Heerden
- Theuns van der Bank
- Jared Poulton
- Calvin Beneke
- John Vlok
- Nabigh Davids
- Marco Abrahams
Junior Men Qualified:*
- Jason Oosthuizen
- Daniyal Matthew
- Jayde Davids
*Other junior qualifiers are riding in the Elite CAT in 2017.