The South African Road and Time Trial Championships are now confirmed to proceed as planned in Swellendam from 18 – 21 March 2021.
MEC Anroux Marais for Cultural Affairs and Sport indicated that the event would be subject to complying with the conditions set out in the:
- Disaster Management Act relating to Adjusted Level 3 Regulations (Government Gazette 44159, 13 February 2021)
- Amended Directions issued in terms of Regulation 4(10) by the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture (Government Gazette 44055, 5 January 2021)
As per paragraph 3 of the Amended Directions (Government Gazette 44055, 5 January 2021) – “Sporting activities, including professional matches, by recognised sporting bodies, are allowed subject [to certain conditions].”
As South Africa remains under Level 3 COVID-19 Lockdown restrictions, the event shall:
- Adhere to the times of operation set out in the Regulations (i.e. ceasing before 22h00);
- Only journalists, radio, television crew, security personnel, emergency medical services, and the necessary start/finish venue staff and officials are allowed at the venue.
- Only the required number of riders per race, officials, support staff and medical crew necessary for the event are allowed.
- No spectators are allowed.
In addition, the COVID-19 risk mitigation protocols as outlined by the South African government and the UCI will be applied, inclusive of testing prior to participation.
CyclingSA is currently investigating rapid testing solutions for our participants, which are being adopted internationally. These protocols will take place at event registration and will be shared in due course.
The Swellendam Municipality are enthusiastically planning and preparing to deliver a high-calibre event and look forward to welcoming the cycling fraternity to Swellendam. If any participants are experiencing difficulties in re-booking their previous reservations, kindly contact Carla Eksteen.
2021 SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL AND ROAD RACE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Date: Thursday, 18 – Sunday, 21 March 2021
Venue: Swellendam, Western Cape
*More details: cyclingsa.com/2021-sa-road-champs
*Amendments to the program will be confirmed from 26 February 2021.