The UCI has officially administered Para-cycling since an agreement to transfer governance of the discipline from the International Paralympic Committee was signed on 7 February 2007. This discipline is divided into road and track races for a total of seven events.
- Road Race (Men and Women)
- Individual Time Trial (Men and Women)
- Handcycling Relay
- Tandem Sprint (Men)
- Team Sprint (Men and Women, Mixed Event)
- 500m Time Trial (Men and Women) or Kilometre Time Trial (Men and Women)
- Individual Pursuit (Men and Women)
The UCI defines functional categories for men and women of all ages. Riders are allocated to the appropriate category depending on their functional capacity.
The competitions comprise four divisions, based on the groups of handicaps:
- B Division – Tandem
- Blind or visually impaired riders.
- C Division – Traditional bicycles
- Sometimes can be adapted and used by riders with a slight brain injury, one or more amputations or some other form of impairment of the upper or lower limbs.
- H Division – Handcycles
- Paraplegic, Tetraplegic, Unilateral or Bilateral amputees.
- T Division – Tricycles
- Riders with brain injuries or those who need greater stability due to the extent of their impairment.
A total of 13 sport classes in total, both for men and women, with riders placed in the appropriate category in the light of their functional capacity.
- C1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- H1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- T1, 2
The main events are the Worlds Championships (since 1994), the Paralympic Games and the World Cup (since 2010).
* All information as per the UCI website uci.org/para-cycling/about-paracycling
|Convener of Selectors||O’Ryan Bruintjies|
|Free State||Rudi Kune|
|Kwa-Zulu Natal||Alec Lenferna|
|Northern Cape||Maritiza de Klerk|
|Western Cape||Janine Fuchs|
|Central Gauteng||Alastair Armstrong|
Men’s Road Cycling
Women’s Road Cycling
Men’s Track Cycling
Women’s Track Cycling
Men’s Mountain Biking
Women’s Mountain Biking
PIETER DU PREEZ
ERNST VAN DYK
SASCOC Athlete Commission
The 2021 South African National Road Championships will be held for the Junior, Under 23,
The South African Road and Time Trial Championships are now confirmed to proceed as planned