Murray & Roberts, in partnership with the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC), is once again calling for nominations for the annual Jack Cheetham and Letsema Awards.
The awards are divided into two categories:
· The Jack Cheetham Memorial Award – initiated by Murray & Roberts 1981 in recognition of the special qualities of Jack Cheetham, a former director of the company and the inspirational captain of the South African cricket team in the 1950s – targets sports development projects for able-bodied individuals;
· The Letsema Awards – launched in 2009 – targets sports development projects for sports people with disabilities.
Previous winners of the prestigious annual Awards include Diepsloot Mountain Bike Academy and Freestate Sports Association for the Physically Disabled in 2014; and Waves for Change and Wheelchair Tennis South Africa in 2015
CODAH Cycling Club, (a project of the Children of Destiny at Home) which began in 2014, focuses on getting more and more children from impoverished communities in Hammarsdale onto bicycles and instilling important life skills and values into their young lives. CODAH Cycling Club took home the third place prize in 2016.
To be eligible for nomination, a sports project must demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the development of sport in South Africa and must benefit previously disadvantaged individuals. Nominations in all sporting codes are considered but preference is given to sporting codes that do not attract high levels of funding. Factors such as sports excellence, inspirational leadership and future sustainability are important criteria to adhere to.
Organisations that have previously won the first prize in either category may only be nominated again in the year after they receive their final payment.
The value of the 2017 awards will be allocated as follows, for both the Jack Cheetham and Letsema Award:
· Winner R500 000 over five years;
· Runner-up R150, 000 over three years;
· 2nd Runner-up R 75, 000 over two years.
The closing date for the Jack Cheetham and Letsema Awards nominations is 19 June 2017.
Visit www.jclawards.co.za or www.sascoc.co.za to download the 2017 Nomination Form. Forms can also be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org