CyclingSA is the national governing body of the sport of cycling in South Africa and is affiliated to the International Cycling Union (UCI), South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC). Though not limited to, it governs 5 disciplines, road cycling, mountain biking (MTB), track cycling, bicycle motocross (BMX), para-cycling, its national championships and teams. It has 9 provincial affiliates with 10 additional regional affiliations and makes provision for other associate members within the sport of cycling.
As an NPO organisation, CyclingSA wants to build a strong, financially sustainable federation and a leading partner to stakeholders, inspiring a diverse nation from grassroot levels to ride bicycles, race and be a united community.
CyclingSA is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan. CyclingSA reserves the right not to fill the advertised position should no suitable candidate be identified.
Job Title: Communication Manager
Contract Type: Full Time
Start Date: 01 August 2022
Reporting: Secretary General / Executive Board
Salary: Negotiable – depending on experience
Closing date: 24 June 2022
In this role you will be required to focus on:
- Planning and managing multiple media including, social editorial calendars (across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin and YouTube), including planning, briefing, posting, optimising, and analysing content across all channels.
- Seeking out, collaborating, and leading on the writing of social and blog copy. Editing, publishing, and managing the editorial, optimising for search and user experience.
- Generating positive news coverage, achieving free content placement in broadcast, print and new media.
- Research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media and promote news stories to the media.
- Develop strong relationships and networks with colleagues, and the media.
- Leading on social media community building, responding to comments and queries on each channel within 24 hours, advising Provincial leadership teams on how to develop their Provincial channels, and advising on any social media enquiries.
- Tracking and reporting on content metrics from Cycling South Africa platforms and 3rd party platforms, providing feedback and regular reports to the Secretary General on key project performance and generate insights which enable the design of new content formats and distribution methods.
- Leading the sourcing, briefing and direction of third-party content producers (including video production companies, editors, designers, photographers and writers) to make content which helps transform South Africa into a great cycling nation.
- Managing position relevant events such as press conferences and promotional events.
- Managing the PR aspect of any potential crisis situations.
Key requirements are:
- Degree level qualification in Communications/PR and content management OR equivalent relevant work experience
- Proven experience of working in social media.
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience using reporting tools such as Google Analytics
- Proven background in social media distribution and conducting data analytics
- The ability to brief and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to act as the authority within Cycling South Africa on content best practice and digital trends providing guidance to colleagues across to business as required.
- Skills in DSLR video, photography, audio, and editing will be a considered plus.
- The position is full time
- We will consider applicants based in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
- Salary will be industry-based and competitive.
- The successful candidate will work in a hybrid (home+ office) environment but will also be expected to travel and work outside of normal working hours, inclusive of weekends. The details will be negotiated with the appointed candidate.
- The ability to travel locally will be an advantage.
Application letter and a comprehensive CV to be sent for the attention of Peter Staal at [email protected] Please note that correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates and applications received after the closing date will not be considered.